Monday, October 19, 2009

you're missing from me


I had a horrible moment today, I realized I was not living in Paris, and thus unable to trod down a narrow sidewalk, avoiding des crocs des chiens with a chocolate croissant in one hand and the knowing feeling that soon I would be sitting outside a cafe, smoking a thin cigarette, drinking an espresso, letting time melt away as a conversation with a friend would engulf me in a world of laughter and mindless gossip and plans of wine drinking by the seine later on, I will not be able to walk through a beautiful old cemetary today or get hit on by an unattractive french man, I will not take the metro nor will I speak on on my mobile in french with my french family, I will not walk past beautiful display windows nor will I be montmartre or the marais or by the canals. I can not go to the luxembourg gardens, no not today, for I am not in Paris, not today, however I do know one thing is certain, one day I will make my way back to Paris, I shall not stay there for ever but every moment I get to spend with Paris around me, I will appreciate and hold onto these moments, and stuff every moment I am there into my pockets until my pockets are overflowing with Paris moments and wherever I have terrible realizations of being without Paris, I will realize that Paris is a moveable feast and is always here, with me, where I am right now.